One of the very first welding projects you should tackle is a welding table. But wait a minute. Are you sure you want to spend the time and money to create a welding table when style able to buy a bed that is portable, foldable, and low-priced? I am all for making things myself when i can save a sale. But its depressing when you spend a weekend fighting with a welding project only to realize you could have just bought the thing and spent your time on a better welding project.
Lets look a choices so that might help in making a good decision on welding tables, from cheapest and easiest, to much more costly and multi functional.
3 options for a delicate duty table:
* A 30' x 20' foldable metal table that is designed for welding and that collapses for storage, can be purchased ready to use out of the box. Approximate cost around $140 plus shipping.
* The cheapest and easiest could really be a set of home made sawhorses using sawhorse brackets along with a piece of 11 gauge steel for the welding table top. When not in use, the metal can be stored against a wall and the sawhorses can be disassembled and stored out of means. You could even laminate a little bit of 16 ga sheet to a small sheet of 3/4 inch plywood if you wanted. This would serve in a pinch as a lightweight duty table for welding small locations. Approximate cost around $ 80 ( twenty bucks for sawhorse brackets $20 for one half sheet of plywood, $10 for two by fours, $30 for sheet metal top.)
* A stainless steel food table are available that can be assembled quickly. (If you weld stainless food service type parts, this is an efficient option because you don't want stainless steel getting contaminated with iron particles that will later cause rust and staining.) Approximate cost around $130
2 options for a powerful table:
* Acquire full sheet of 1/2' half inch or ' steel plate along the 3 inch square tubing or angle iron and fabricate an excellent heavy duty welding table that can be hammered on, heated, welded to, clamped to, and the like. Approximate cost for the all the steel is approximately $800
* It's heavy duty welding table made with 6 individual precision ground steel plates that are CNC-machined with 5/8in. holes in a 2in. grid pattern anyone enable in order to clamp virtually anything just about any shape. Price is around $2200 plus many.
A welding table important if you intend on doing serious welding projects also, since you're a welding, really should build it yourself. It'll save you big bucks and may do brag to of your pals.
This part is required. Go to my website right now to find welding projects for learners. While you are there you might learn some things about hyperbaric welding as well. My free Welding Tips newsletter might have what you need, so sign up for it, it's no-cost.